LEGALITY OF FANTASY CRICKET IN INDIA
Champions11 takes immense care to fulfil with all central and state legislation in India to ensure that our users are completely protected. Each contest on our platform is cautiously designed to obey with valid decrees and regulations in India.
Below are the key points from an Indian High Court’s judgement particularly regarding the fantasy games played, a challenge to this judgement was dismissed by the Supreme Court of India as well:
• The Court, in its ruling, stated that playing the fantasy game involves substantial skill, discretion and judgement and that success on fantasy games arises out of users’ use of the platform, superior knowledge, judgment and focus.
• The Court held that ‘the element of skill’ had a main influence on the result of the fantasy game as well, which follows the following format:
• Users have to select a team consisting of at least the same number of players as playing in a real-life sports team (e.g. 11 in cricket/football, 7 in kabaddi and 5 in basketball)• All contests are run for at least the duration of one full sports match.• No team changes are permitted by users after the beginning of the sports match.
• On this basis, the Court adjudged that playing fantasy games constitutes a ‘game of mere skill’, which makes the online fantasy games excused from the provisions of the Public Gambling Act, 1867 (PGA).
• Finally, the Court held that the online fantasy games are legitimate business activity protected under Article 19(1) (g) of the Constitution of India.